Hull Kingston Rovers Charity Strip

This week I was asked to go back and take some more photographs of the Hull KR Charity Strip that is being sold in aid of the Stanley Gene Foundation, a rugby charity that works in Papua New Guinea. The club has added some training gear to the strip and wanted more photographs of players wearing the strip.

They wanted the usual assortment of moody and cheerful, close up and full length photos of bright shirts against a plain white background so that they can be cut out and added to the Hull KR website as required.

Once I had done as required, I took the opportunity to further edit some of the images. These are a few of the images taken during the shoot.

Hull KR Charity Shirt

On Friday I went with Anete to take some photos of the new charity shirt that Hull KR launched this week. The strip is being sold to raise money for the Stanley Gene Foundation which raises money to improve the lives of communities in Papua New Guinea. The new strip is marking 20 years since Stanley Gene first came to the UK to play professional rugby.

Although the shoot wasn’t straight forward – some of the lights didn’t sync and one of the leads we were using didn’t work properly, Anete did manage to take some useful photographs which were immediately passed on to Hull KR who used them to launch the new shirt.

Some of the photos have already been used on the Hull KR website and in a press release to the Hull Daily Mail.

The new shirt is in the Papua New Guinea colours and features the country’s national bird, the Raggiana Bird of Paradise. It was an honour to be able to chat with Stanley Gene, who has played in three world cups, about his first days in the UK, and about the difference his charity is making.

Hull KR v St Helens

This week I was asked to return to the KC Lightstream Stadium and take some more behind the scenes photos at Hull KR’s game against St Helens.

This time, as well as capturing the general going’s on I planned to try and capture more of the emotion in the crowd. The match, was at night so I increased my ISO in order to compensate for the reduced light. At times I also had to use a wide aperture in order to capture the actions, this gave a narrow depth of field and enabled me to focus on one or two subjects with the crowd.

I again chose to use my Sony A77 with the 18 to 200 lens as this would give me the best wide angle and zoom but this time also swapped to use my 50 to 300mm lens so that I could take photos of one stand from another and be as unobtrusive as possible. I also used short bursts of continuous shooting so that I wouldn’t miss the key moments.

These are a few of the images I took this time.

Again, there wasn’t a lot of post-processing that I needed to do. There was a lot of editing and sifting out the photos that I had taken on continuous shooting though. There was the usual cropping and straightening and as I was shooting in different types I lighting I used the basic editing, camera calibration and sync tools to correct the colour.

Hull KR v Wigan

This week I was asked to take some behind the scene photos at Hull KR’s Lightstream Stadium during some of their matches. I had previously met with some of the media and design team to discuss the club’s requirements. The photographs will be used in Hull KR’s posters and publicity.

As a bit of research I attended the match against Wigan. I had a tour of the stadium and was then given permission to wander around and take photos of the crowd, the family area and in fact almost anything apart from the action on the pitch which was being photographed by others. I was really enjoying myself until the bitterly cold weather forced me inside. It has given me a good idea of the shots I want to take next time when I do it for real.

I chose to use my Sony A77 with the 18 to 200 lens as this would give me the best wide angle and zoom without the need to keep changing lenses. These were going to be test shots so I set the camera on Aperture priority and started with an aperture of F11.

These are a few of the images I took this time.

The photographs are going to be used in colour and there wasn’t a lot of post-processing that I needed to do. There was the usual cropping and straightening and to correct a couple of converging verticals. It was a very dull cloudy day so where the sky looked particularly dark I tried to brighten it a little being careful not to allow clipping in the lighter tones.

In the camera calibration part of Lightroom I also increased the blue saturation slightly. Not only does it make the blues look brighter it really makes the red of the Rover’s kit pop.

%d bloggers like this: