The class agreed that we would each take on various roles in order to ensure that the exhibition went smoothly. As I live furthest away I offered to prepare the publicity if others would be prepared to do more of the things that needed to be done at the college.
We had agreed on the title of the exhibition to be Lasting Impression as we wanted visitors to remember our work long after the exhibition was over. After some samples designed by others and a bit of an argument, I designed a suite of posters and flyers, using a logo I designed in illustrator and photographs taken by the students to help promote the exhibition.
A4 posters displayed in various venues around Hull – 100 copies.
A5 flyers given out in and around Hull offering a 10% discount in the cafe and a chance to win a free unframed print of one of the photos in the exhibition.
A4 poster to be displayed around the Hull School of Art and Design while the third year students show is on. This poster includes a map that reminds visitors that our show is just across the park.
An A5 catalogue that lists all of the photographs and how much each picture costs to buy.
In addition to this we set up a Facebook page. So I transferred the logo and key image to this page so that everything had a coordinated look. I also scheduled posts so that something new will appear on the page everyday before and during the time the exhibition is on. I have also scheduled similar posts to appear on my own Facebook page in order to promote the exhibition among my own friends and family.
Finally, partly for my own souvenir, I created a blurb book of all of the photographs in the exhibition. This again follows through with the same image and logo.
I had considered writing and sending media release out to the local press but thought this probably needed to go through the college and the cafe before I sent it in and this would take too much time to finalise.
I think most of the publicity has been well received, however to increase the impact I think we should have organised ourselves a little earlier and got the publicity out a week or two sooner.
I have been experimenting with my initials and altering them in Illustrator in order to create a personalised logo for my business.
After typing AJR in the Perpetua font, I selected the letters, clicked Object/Expand/OK and then ungrouped the selection. This enabled me to click on the path and change the shape of the letters.
I started by straightening up the A, then joining the bottom of the A to the curve of the J. Then I removed the upright of the R and the cross bar of the A to create a continuous flowing line. It still didn’t look quite right so I extended the sloping arm of the A to below the bottom line of the J. Still not entirely sure I had created the right look I experimented a little more.
The next thing was to play around with colour to see what I liked. As the letters together look a little like the word ‘air’ I thought perhaps a blue might be quite nice but I will have to see how my photos look next to the colour before I make a final choice.
I wasn’t entirely sure that that logo suited me. I had already seen a modern logo with an art deco feel that I really liked. So I had another go.
This time I started with a font called Argo. I removed the upright on the R and the curl from the bottom of the J and tried a few different positions before I found one I liked.
Then I drew another line just to the right of each letter to add a little extra interest. I felt that this made it look a little too traditional and chose to go back to an earlier version.
I feel that I will still need to add my name to the branding and have experimented with a few ways of laying out my name with the logo. I have tried a couple of stronger blues this time which I think I like better.
The next thing will be to ask around and get some feedback from clients and my target market to see what they think.
This week I’ve been looking at the branding that some other photographers use.
There are merits to using a camera in the branding, after all it says exactly what you do, although it doesn’t tell anyone what type of photography you do.
This stylised camera incorporates a T to represent the photographer’s name.
This one is ok, its been hand-drawn, but I wonder how all that detail looks on various materials. I also can’t really read her surname very well and as she only uses her first name in her web address it took a bit of hunting around the web page before I could be sure that it was Scodeler and not Scodetey!
This logo is better. It is still a bit ‘sharp’ but I like the way the M N and W have all been incorporated.
I like the way this simple logo can be used in solid black or white but also how photos can be incorporated into it.
This logo has been developed out of the strapline ‘Pause the moments’. I like how all of the elements have come together.
Most photographers use black and white for their branding but this wedding photographer uses a bright mint green, pink and white.
I like the clever way Megan Battersby has used an ‘M’ and a ‘B’ to create her logo.
I think this is nice and simple. I like the neat wavy signature type initials and the stylised aperture.
This is one of my favourites. I like the signature and the font used for the word ‘photography’. I’m not totally keen on the way they have been positioned on top of the large ‘B’ but agree that an icon like the letter ‘B’ could be a useful addition to the branding.
I also like the use of photographs on the literature. I think it is a good marketing tool to be able to have photographs on the back of your business cards.