Today I had hoped to be able to practice with the 6×9 Rangefinder but unable to make it work, I took a few panoramas of the cathedral in Lincoln instead.
The first is a photograph of the East view of Lincoln Cathedral. It is made up of 49 photographs in five rows of seven, using the same method that I used for the Alkborough panorama a few days ago. At this size it looks great but on closer inspection there are lots of ‘soft spots’ were the merge is not quite as crisp as it could have been.
This is a much smaller panorama of the houses opposite the East end of the cathedral. It has merged much better but disappointingly I have managed to capture the dog at an unfortunate angle.
I moved round to the south side to try again but when the 77 photos have merged in this image the horizontal lines have become quite curved. I suspect this has something to do with the way Lightroom merges all of the photographs together. I did try a few different settings but this was the best result I could get. I may try merging the photos together by hand in Photoshop to see if I can correct this problem.
At the West end of the cathedral there is a row of houses, several with blue plaques on, adjoining the stone gateway. The photograph is a good size and shape and is joined very neatly, probably the best of all that I have created today. I think three rows of five photographs will be the ideal size for my Constable panoramas.
Looking at the main entrance to the cathedral at the East side I initially took six photographs for a panorama. I took my time with this waiting for any ‘large heads’ of people coming close to my tripod to pass and also waiting for those people nearer the cathedral to move on a bit before I took their photograph again.
I’m pleased with the way it has joined and the clarity of the photograph. I think I should have allowed for a little more foreground in front of the cathedral though.
Building on the initial panorama I went on to take another seven rows of photographs. The horizontal lines are slightly bowed and again, at this size I think it looks pretty good but on closer inspection there are one or two areas of softness where it has been difficult to merge.
The following two photographs, taken from outside the castle are of the same view, the first is a panorama made of just six photographs and the other is made of 35 photographs. The six photograph pano has merged very well and every area of the photograph is sharp.
The larger pano has a lot more detail in parts of it but also has those patches of softness in some areas.
Before I really make my mind up, I will arrange for some of the photographs to be printed out at various sizes so that I can be very sure of the optimum number of photographs to use in my final panoramas.