This week I have researched a number of options for my portfolio book. There is a bit of a mismatch between what I can afford and the quality of the album that I would like. However, I have to say that the quality of the album needs to reflect the aspirations of the target market that I hope to reach, so I think I will have to save up and make an investment in this book.
The following are some example prices for Photobox but there is very often an offer on these prices. This weekend there is up to 60% off.
- 30 pages, large square 30cm x 30cm, gloss finish hardcover, lay flat, lustre paper – £49.99
- 90 pages, premium square 29.5cm x 29.5cm, padded hardcover, perfect bound, 260gsm matt photo paper, clam shell presentation box – £99.99
The following are some example prices for Blurb but again, they often offer a discount on repeat or multiple orders
- 20 pages, large landscape 33cm x 28cm, dust cover, proline uncoated paper (archival), no logo, mid grey end sheets – £56.09
- 20 pages, large square 30cm x 30cm, image wrap cover, proline pearl photo paper (archival), no logo, mid grey end sheets – £58.13
There are lots of companies offering high-end books that are great for wedding albums and possibly for my portfolio. Most of these need photographers to register with the website before they will let you know prices.
Most of these companies require you to download and use their own software to create their books. I would prefer to use InDesign to create my book to give me complete control over the design and layout.
- Loxley Colour – uses Loxley Designer Pro software and has discounted sample album packs available to order when you upload and order your first album.
- Graphi Studio
- Colourworld – uses Colourworld Designer Pro software. Sample albums are available at a 50% discount – just email them and they will send a code to use for when you place your order.
- Proam Studio – uses free album design software
- GF Smith Photographic – uses PPS software
- Folio Albums are even more luxury with prices that are upwards of £250.00
2 Nov 2015 Update
Today at college we had a visit from the people at GF Smith in Hull. They showed us some samples of their albums, including some very nice portfolio books. Although the photographic albums are only available through GF Smith Photographic they do have a version called Make Book which is available through their paper division. This can be produced in InDesign and uploaded to order.
An A4 book with 20 pages (10 spreads) can be ordered for around £100. So I think that this will be my preferred option.