I have been experimenting with my initials and altering them in Illustrator in order to create a personalised logo for my business.
After typing AJR in the Perpetua font, I selected the letters, clicked Object/Expand/OK and then ungrouped the selection. This enabled me to click on the path and change the shape of the letters.
I started by straightening up the A, then joining the bottom of the A to the curve of the J. Then I removed the upright of the R and the cross bar of the A to create a continuous flowing line. It still didn’t look quite right so I extended the sloping arm of the A to below the bottom line of the J. Still not entirely sure I had created the right look I experimented a little more.
The next thing was to play around with colour to see what I liked. As the letters together look a little like the word ‘air’ I thought perhaps a blue might be quite nice but I will have to see how my photos look next to the colour before I make a final choice.
I wasn’t entirely sure that that logo suited me. I had already seen a modern logo with an art deco feel that I really liked. So I had another go.
Then I drew another line just to the right of each letter to add a little extra interest. I felt that this made it look a little too traditional and chose to go back to an earlier version.
I feel that I will still need to add my name to the branding and have experimented with a few ways of laying out my name with the logo. I have tried a couple of stronger blues this time which I think I like better.
The next thing will be to ask around and get some feedback from clients and my target market to see what they think.